Headed to the Museum – This is what you need to know:
1) Checkout the website first. I know this may sound obvious, but many times I have gone to the museum on a whim without knowing what exhibitions were scheduled. Jump on the computer or your smartphone and see.
2) Go to the information desk: It is a great resource of information. You can also ask for a docent, who is a person trained and educated. Tours may be available for the exhibition you are interested. Also, there will be pamphlets and other reading and/or listening material to help navigate the exhibition and have a better experience.
3) Walk slowly through the exhibition and take in the work: Do not rush when walking through the galleries. Take time to look at the work and reflect. First, position yourself far enough away from the piece allowing you to see the work in its entirety. After, walk up to the piece to get see the detail.
4) Listen: Many times there are others who are viewing the same work. Often times they have a different perspective that may add to what you see in the piece.
5) Ask questions: As the person next to you what they thought of the piece. The guards are a great source information as well.